Medieval freehold properties in Morden
Surrey History Centre holds documents that trace the descent of some freehold properties in Morden from the mid-15th century until 1602.
The earlier history of these properties can be discovered from entries in the manorial court rolls.
Click on the link below to download the transcripts without images.
- SHC G1/1/43: Quitclaim by Agnes Martyn to John Chynnore and William Lovelas, of all her right, title and claim in a parcel of land in Morden (elsewhere called le Parklond): 1446
- SHC K85/2/1: Charter of William Lovelas confirming sale of tenement called Wynterworthes in West Morden and 8 acres called le Parklond in Morden to John Playstowe of Merstham, Surrey:1458
- SHC K85/2/2: Grant by John Playstowe of Morden to his brother William Playstowe of 42.25 acres arable and 1.75 acres meadow, part of his messuage, lands and meadows in Morden called Wynters:1540
- SHC K85/2/3: Letter from Richard Bray to John Playstowe of Merstham, cousin of John Playstowe deceased, concerning lands inherited from John Playstowe deceased, and occupied by his widow: 16th century (English)
- SHC K85/2/4: Indenture of sale by William Playstowe of Kingston to William Fromund of Cheam of his tenements and lands in Morden:1602 (English)
- SHC G1/1/49: Dispute between Thomas Jones and William Fromund of his messuage, lands and meadows in Morden formerly William Playstowe:1602
Or click on the thumbnails below to download the transcripts with images.
The initial transcriptions and translations were by Peter Hopkins, but have all been checked and corrected by Dr Mark Page.