Hand-tinted engraving of St Lawrence Church, Morden.
Morden Hall: Hand-tinted engraving published in Edward Walford’s Greater London (1883).
Engraving of Morden Lodge, 'The Seat of Abraham Goldsmid Esqr, Morden, Surrey', published 1806.
Engraving of the Copper Mills and King's Head, Merton, published 1925.
Engraving of ‘Lord Nelson’s Villa at Merton' published 1806
Hand-tinted engraving of Merton Church, published 1806
Homefield, Merton (from The Builder 26 February 1881)
Engraving of Mitcham Grove
Hand-tinted engraving of Mitcham Bridge from Glover’s Snuff Mill c.1800
'Old Snuff Mill, Mitcham' from a drawing by Dewey-Bates, published 1889
The Society’s logo is the 12th-century arch found at Abbey House in 1914 and re-erected at St Mary’s churchyard in 1935
The Society is concerned with the history of the London Borough of Merton, England. It undertakes research and publishes books and booklets on the history of Merton, Mitcham and Morden. Founded in 1951 as the Merton & Morden Historical Society, it has always had a respected reputation for its publications, which range from academic studies to recollections by local residents. Our monthly talks are also wide-ranging, and we welcome members of all levels of interest
Membership at present costs £12 a year (£5 for full-time students).
Members receive the Society's quarterly Bulletin, and are entitled to 20% discount on the Society's publications.
For full details click here
The Society organises monthly lectures and talks of local historical interest during the winter months and arranges visits and local historical guided walks during the summer.
Meetings are informal and do not pre-suppose a special knowledge of history, local or national.
Talks restart in October at St James's church hall, Martin Way. Please come along. For current programme click here
The Society also runs regular Workshop sessions to share current research.
Workshops are informal and do not pre-suppose a special knowledge of history, local or national.
You will be very welcome.
Click for more details
The London Borough of Merton was formed in 1965. It incorporates four ancient Surrey parishes: Merton, Mitcham, Morden and Wimbledon
Merton Historical Society limits itself to the history of Merton, Mitcham and Morden, except where properties extended across parish boundaries. We are happy to leave Wimbledon's history in the safe hands of The Wimbledon Society.
Our Bulletin is published at the beginning of March, June, September and December.
As well as reports on meetings, visits and workshops, it includes news of current events, book reviews, and articles relating to the history of our area. Click here to read more