The ancient parish measured two miles (3 km) from east to west and three miles (5 km) from north to south, covering 2916 acres (1180 ha). Although subdivided for ecclesiastical purposes during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the boundaries endured to become those of the Urban District of Mitcham in 1915, and then of the Borough of Mitcham, created in 1934.

The following pages have been adapted from <em>A Brief History of Mitcham </em> by E N Montague ().