Charters and cartularies
There are several original charters relating to properties granted to or by Westminster Abbey, some still bearing the seals of the parties involved. Many charters and other agreements were copied into the Abbey’s cartularies. The cartulary known as the Westminster Domesday (WD) has copies of several documents relating to Morden. As some of the original documents have been damaged by damp, and others have been lost, the cartularies are of great value to the researcher.
Several of the documents relate to the same family holdings. However, the first document cited here relates to Merton Priory’s holding in Morden, probably part of their Spital estate in Morden (see Article below). The Morin family connection links it with the next two entries. The Kynnersley family held a ‘manor’ in that part of Carshalton near the present Rose Hill, from whom Westminster Abbey leased land in Morden ‘at Gildenhill’ from the 13th to 15th centuries, and it is likely that this was the former Morin/Cleygate grant.
Click on the thumbnails below to download the transcripts with images.
Or click on the links below to download the transcripts without images.
- TNA CP 25/1/225/1: Final Concord between prior of Merton and Gilbert Morin concerning land on the border of Morden and Carshalton: 1196
- WD fo.170a: Grant from Robert Morin to Robert de Cleygate of a virgate in Morden: c.1195-1215
- WD fo.170a-b: Grant from Robert de Cleygate to Westminster abbey of a virgate in Morden: c.1217-1221
- WD fo.170b-171a: Covenant between Elias prior of Westminster and Aline relict of Richard Sakespeye regarding her interest in 2.5 virgates in Morden: 1220
- WD fo.169b-170a: Covenant between Richard abbot of Westminster, Egidius prior of Merton and Sir William de Mara concerning the re-routing of a road crossing the abbot’s court in Morden (= BL Cotton MS Cleopatra C.vii fo. cxij): 1225
- TNA Curia Regis Rolls XIV 1346 (Curia Regis Roll 108 m7): Petition of Matilda widow of William de Walton against prior of Merton for a carucate of land in Morden: 1231
- TNA Curia Regis Rolls XIV 1841 (Curia Regis Roll 108 m13): Concord between the prior of Merton and Matilda de Walton and her son William de Walton concerning a carucate of land in Morden: 1231
- TNA CP 25/1/225/10: Final Concord between Henry prior of Merton and Nicholas and Johanna de Pyrle concerning 12 acres of land at West Morden, formerly William de Walton: 1237
- WD fo.169b = WAM 1915*: Confirmation from Richard abbot of Westminster to Robert prior of Merton of land in Morden granted to Merton priory by William de Wauton: 1239/46
- WD fo.172b-173a: Concord between Matilda daughter of Baldric and Richard abbot of Westminster recognising Matilda’s right to a virgate in Morden (see also The Surrey Eyre (Surrey Record Society 1983), 5, 222 & 335): 1235
- WD 171 = WAM 1844: Surrender from Isabel Poybele of Morden, daughter of John le Bercher, to Gerard de Staundone, Rector of Morden, of a croft in Mordon: temp Edward I: c.1235/1246
- WD 171 = WAM 1845: Quitclaim from Gerard de Staundone, clerk, to Abbot of Westminster, of a place which he built and had by grant from Isabel Poybele in West Morden: 1301
The initial transcriptions and translations were by Dominic Alexander, with corrections to the transcription by Shirley Corke. They have all been checked and corrected by Dr Mark Page.
Landholding in Morden around the year 1200