The Life of Guy of Merton
The first parallel edition and translation of the contemporary account of the life of Guy of Merton, one of the earliest canons of Merton and later founding prior of first Taunton and then Bodmin, together with an introductory essay.
The Life of James Lackington, Bookseller, 1746-1815
James Lackington, the 18th-century bookseller, developed trading policies that were to bring him both fame and financial success. His terms became (unusually for the time) cash only; he sold at rock-bottom prices, and he was a pioneer dealer in large quantities of publishers’ ‘remainders’, which he sold at cut price. He also bought up whole libraries, and was soon issuing catalogues of 30,000 volumes and more.
By 1791, when his annual profits were £4000, and he wrote the first version of his Memoirs, he had installed himself with his wife Dorcas in a country house in Merton and set up his own carriage. This was Spring House, the early 18th-century house in Kingston Road, which was demolished in the 1930s and replaced by the Spring House flats.
The Mitcham That I Remember 1927-1941
Iris C Marshall, née Overy grew up at the Ward paint factory in Windmill Road, Mitcham, and describes life in the area mainly during the 1930s.
The Now and Hereafter Poor:
A study in the administration of the Poor Law in Mitcham prior to 1834
Chapters cover – Practice in Mitcham till 1720; The Poor Law in Operation in the Eighteenth Century: (a) Apprenticeship, Settlement and Out-relief, (b) The Workhouse; The Parish Officers and the Poor Rate; Wartime Stresses; Post War Depression and Poor Law Reform
A private Act of Parliament, obtained in 1816 “For the better assessing and collecting the Poor and other Parochial Rates in the Parish of Mitcham, in the County of Surrey” is reproduced in the Appendix.
The Parish of Merton in 1844: The Tithe Apportionment Map
The tithe apportionment of 1844 provides a very detailed picture of a large part of Merton, although it does not cover the whole of the ancient ecclesiastical parish. The map identifies each field and building with a number, and the accompanying schedule gives the name or a description of each numbered property, its area (in acres, roods and perches), and the use to which it was put, together with the name of the owner and the occupier.
The Railways of Merton
In The Railways of Merton Lionel Green sorts out the tangle of the Borough of Merton’s railways. He gives dates, names of companies, and which later amalgamated with what. The book includes a very clear map and illustrations.
The Records of Merton Priory
In his 1898 study of The Records of Merton Priory Major Alfred Heales collected, translated and arranged in chronological order every record that he could trace relating to the great Augustinian priory at Merton, Surrey. Most come from the priory’s cartulary, now at the British Library (BL Cotton MS Cleopatra C. vii), or from a collection in the Bodleian Library (Laud MSS 723), but many other sources have been used. He has provided transcriptions of many of these documents in an appendix.
The Story of the Long Thornton and District Improvement Society
This Association was formed in 1927 by people who were buying houses on a new privately-built estate with only temporary road surfaces which had to be repaired by the residents at week-ends, poor street lighting, no buses or schools and few shops. By electing a politically independent councillor and constantly pushing the authorities hard, they achieved the local facilities and amenities they needed.
Christine Munday has produced a piece of social history and a very warming account of what ordinary people can achieve when banding together for a common good.
Trouble at Mill: A brief history of the former Liberty Print Works site, including Textile printing at Merton Printers Ltd (Libertys) 1965-1982
David started work at Merton Printers Ltd in January 1965, and completed the last-ever print-run at the Merton Abbey Works before it closed in December 1982. In this book David traces the early industrial history of the site, and then takes us on a personal tour of the production processes, introducing us to many of the personalities along the way. This unique view ‘from the shop floor’ makes fascinating reading, and the abundance of photographs, diagrams and plans complement the text perfectly.
Our late President, Lionel Green, told us in the past about Rose Hickman, daughter of wealthy Tudor merchant William Lock, who wrote her memoirs in 1610, at the age of 85. Though based in London, the family held a number of properties in Merton, and Rose spent part of her childhood here to escape the plague. The main part of these memoirs were published in May 1982 in the Bulletin of the Institute of Historical Research, and Lionel summarised them in his series of articles on the Lock family in our own Bulletin between September 1996 and March 1998 (119, 121, 123, 123).
West Barnes & Cannon Hill
Like its predecessor, on Lower Morden, this large-format booklet devotes each of its 15 double-spread pages to a separate theme. After useful discussions of four key periods in the early history of the district, and an explanation of Merton Priory’s estates at the Dissolution, there are lucid histories of each farm or other piece of land that together made up the western part of Merton parish and the immediately surrounding area.